10 million Indian Professionals on LinkedIn – Infographic
More than ten million professionals now use the LinkedIn professional networking platform in India. Globally, LinkedIn (founded in 2003) has over 100 million professionals and continues to grow. LinkedIn started its India operations in 2009 with headquarters in Mumbai. It now has two more offices in Gurgaon and Bengaluru.
LinkedIn’s suite of Corporate Solutions have helped recruiters to reduce cost and time per hire in identifying and recruiting some of India’s best talent. Members of LinkedIn India are using Answers, Groups and Polls to engage, collaborate, hire and even to grow business opportunities across the LinkedIn network. Many Indian brands, use LinkedIn’s Marketing Solutions to target advertising campaigns at professionals across the board and build conversations about their brands with measurable and focused results.
Check out the info-graphic below to have a look at some other interesting points.
UPDATE 12-09-11: New data included, as requested by Edelman India, communication consultants to LinkedIn.
For working professionals it is worth having a properly updated LinkedIn profile. So check out some common tips below.
Best practices for your professional profile on LinkedIn:
1. Complete your profile in full – A LinkedIn profile basically is an executive bio, describe yourself and your career including ALL details of past companies, education, affiliations, and activities.
2. Get your personal vanity URL – Edit profile to claim the easy to remember vanity URL as this will help you to optimise your own name in the search engines. Like: www.linkedin.com/in/yourname.
3. Make your profile publicly available – You can set what information is publicly available to non-members, optimise carefully without blocking too much information and select “Full View.”
4. Make connections – Increase the reach of your profile by connecting with current and former work colleagues, clients, friends and family.
5. Request recommendations – Having more recommendations will help your profile to stand out and will help to build trust in your reputation to visiting users.
6. Join related groups – Find groups where other industry professionals have joined and look to participate in these groups.
7. Make use of the 3 website hyperlinks – LinkedIn gives you the opportunity to add three hyperlinks to websites of your choice. Promote your blog or personal website to search engines.
8. Optimise your job title – LinkedIn includes your job title within profile title tags. Add an appropriate job title with proper keywords. As this shows up along with your name.
9. Profile Photo – You should include your personal photo in your LinkedIn profile.
Add your company profile on LinkedIn too:
LinkedIn now has the ability to create a company profile for your company!
1. Register a company profile – If your company doesn’t already have a company listing, you should create one. It will be available at http://www.linkedin.com/companies/companyname
2. Publicize company websites – Your LinkedIn profile allows you to publicize your websites. There are a few pre-selected categories like “My Website,” “My Company,” etc. If you do not have a personal website, add the links to your company website.
3. Use LinkedIn Answers – This can help to build up your reputation within a field. It helps to strengthen your profile in the search engines! Broadcast your business-related questions to both your network and the greater LinkedIn network.
4. Add your products and services – Include full product description, photos and videos in your LinkedIn company profile.
How to promote your/company Linkedin profile:
LinkedIn allows a different number of characters in each text fields, Ex: Status Field – 140 Characters, Summary – 2,000 Characters. Use all available characters because search engines like high word counts and lots of relevant keywords.
Profile and Status Updates – In settings, allow significant profile and status updates to be sent to your connections so they are notified of such changes. Update your status frequently by sharing new articles, events, happenings for your company or yourself.
You can also include a link to your profile as part of an email signature. The link enables people to see all your credentials and career updates in a single place.
For Company Profiles, ask people to “Follow” your company. Also get people to recommend your product and service.