As of google data collected in July 2012, which google states in their GO MO website as – “Did you know 75% of customers prefer a mobile-friendly site?* Does your business have one?”, you see that it’s time to mobilize your website content soon, if you haven’t done it already.
So as we are nearing the end of 2012, any established or new business should be aware, that if they want to target more number of visitors, they should and must have a mobile version of their website, i.e their website must also be easily accessible and viewable from the mobile, specifically the smart phones.
“Why” you should go mobile
- Your visitors are using smart phones to search and find your business website on internet and when they find the site looking crappy in their mobile, they leave. So you loose a prospective customer.
- Visitors have to scroll through large amounts of unnecessary content meant for desktop viewing, before they can find your contact number.
- To see a large image they have to do plenty of zooming and scrolling to view which is not at all user-friendly in a small device.
- As internet on mobile has become a common thing, in near future, the vast majority of visitors to your website will be on a mobile device.
- Day by day people spending time on the internet, and staying online for different purposes has increased and will increase more. A desktop or laptop used to be the only way to access the Internet, but now with Internet enabled mobile phones the Internet has truly become mobile. So you missing the mobile bandwagon will hurt your business in the long run.
“How” can you go mobile
There are many processes by which you can mobilize your content. Which process your website demands, depends completely on your content type and business goals.
- You can create a separate mobile site which will be available from say m.yoursite.com or yoursite.mobi and link this to your main desktop website.
- You can dynamically serve separate html contents depending on the user agent request for the same url.
- You can go for the responsive web design that is a process with which you can view the same website in any device. The website is developed in such a manner that the same desktop website automatically adjusts itself to the iphone, ipad, or other mobile devices.
For general websites and content blogs, responsive web design (RWD) is the best option. You can check out this project we created recently with responsive website design technique which can be a solution for your small business website too. For ecommerce or sites requiring other specialised features, an apps style / mobile-only website will be a good choice.
“When” should you go mobile
You can mobilize your website any time. It’s just a matter of taking the right decision and choosing the perfect process that will suit your business or website content type. You have to find a good web designer/developer to help you make the choice as per your need and budget.
About the costing, if you already have a website and going for a mobile version, then the charges will be different than building a new site from scratch with necessary mobile features. In our opinion maintaining a separate site only for the mobile where most content patterns are same, may not be feasible in the long run, and here redesigning the existing site as responsive website or recreating a responsive website can lessen the overall expenditure.
Mobilize your website now!
So if you want to target this large pool of mobile visitors, the right time to go mobile is obviously now! So go mo 🙂